Friday, May 2, 2014

trofie con salsa de erbe e noci





Coming back to France last week I bought a copy of Vegetarian Living magazine at the airport. I've not seen it before and it's pretty good. There was an article with some recipes by Antonio Carluccio and this one caught my fancy as it's walnutty and I love walnuts and we have tons (7 trees worth each year).

Carluccio specifies last season's walnuts which may seem a bit pedantic but since acquiring my own walnut trees, I realise that the shop bought nuts I've been eating all my life were far from last season's. The difference is huge - that bitterness you can get in walnuts just isn't there. The flavour is softer and creamier - gorgeous - and we eat them in all sorts of ways.

This recipe alone was worth the price of the magazine. I shall be making it forever.


Antonio Carluccio's Trofie con salsa di erbe e noci
(serves 4)

150 g shelled walnuts (last season's)
1/2 tbsp each of chopped fresh oregano, rosemary and sage
a few basil leaves, sliced ( I didn't have them)
10 g coarse sea salt ( I put in less, to taste)
2 cloves garlic, peeled
about 6 tbsp olive oil
80 g grated parmesan

In a pestle and mortar, crush the walnuts with the herbs, salt and garlic . Add the oil and 60g of the parmesan and mix.

Cook your pasta and drain, saving a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water and adding it to the sauce to loosen it a bit. Mix the sauce into the pasta and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and chopped basil. (I sprinkled with some chopped black olives)

The next day I used the  leftover sauce to spread on  apéro toasts - heaven!



No comments:

Post a Comment